Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cambodia day #1

We took a flight from Bangkok to Phnom Penh.  But before we took off we went for a great run.  We went 3.2 miles but sweated like we had run a marathon. 


That is my great bra drying, it was dripping I think!

Phnom Penh is a very interesting place to me.  If you know nothing about Cambodia let me tell you a bit about it.  Cambodia was in a civil war about the same time as the Vietnam war all the way until 1975.  In 1975 the Khmer Rouge came in and took over the capital.  The Khmer Rouge was a communist group, lead by a man named Pol Pot.  He was a terrible man who wanted Cambodia to start all over.  He did this by removing everyone out of the capital city and into farm land.  He wanted everyone to become farmers.  He thought that farming rice would make cambodia wealthy.  He was also paranoid that anyone who had education would go against him so he killed anyone who had any kind of education.  He went as far as killing people who wore glasses, because they looked smart.  He killed between 3-4 million people out of a country that at the time only had 7-8 million.   So here in Cambodia there are not many people the age of my parents, unless they escaped.   It is amazing to see, and very eye opening.  The Khmer Rouge was over thrown in 1979.  

I didn't take any picture today but I will have plenty tomorrow.  

But just to make you smile.... 

A Buddhist McDonald, and ...

Mango and sticky rice blizzard.  Just so you know that might not sound good but it was like a party in my mouth!







No comments:

Post a Comment