Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Boise 70.3

 

This race is strange because it has a 12:00 start.  Most races I have to get up super early and I have certain things I do.  But this race threw me off my game.  I got up at about 8:00 and went down for a great breakfast of oatmeal and juice.  Then there was some sitting around  and waiting until we had to go catch our bus to the start.
 Me and my mom had cute flip flops, you can probably guess which ones were mine!  At about 9:30 we went and caught the bus to the race start, up at Lucky Point Reservoir. 

There is a lot of money in bike there!!!  As soon as I got up there I knew it was going to be a interesting race.  I didn't feel like my normal self.  It was already warm and a bit windy.

Me and My mom waiting for the race to start!  We were talking crap all morning, but you could tell that we were both a little nervous.  My mom and dad started the race about 40 min before me.  My wave to start was near the back and they were one of the first.  As soon as they left me I got in my wetsuit, which was really dumb!  It was about 75 degrees and I was in a thick wetsuit.  I was dripping!  After waiting for what seemed like forever it was my waves turn!

The swim started good, but that was about all that was good about it!  the water temperature a cool 60 degrees, not only if the whole race could be that temperature. The further I got from shore the windier and choppier it got.  I am not a strong swimmer to begin with (I haven't swam since my last race 1 month ago), and any bad condition just throw me off.  With about 300 meter left my left calf cramped up.  I could kick at all!  My arms were giving everything I had, which was not a lot.  I guess I do need to train in the swim! :)  I got out of the water in 48 min.  Not terrible, but not great. 

The bike was next, which is probably my strongest event.  This is where the race usually gets fun because I am constantly chicking people.  These thunder thighs have to be good for something.  This bike was not super fun.  There was a 15 mph wind for 80% of the race.  Most of the time it was a head wind or a cross wind.  Wind is a really hard element to deal with mentally.  At least with hills you know there is an end and downhills, but with wind it is relentless.  I tried so hard to stay positive, but that totally fell apart the last 12 miles.  There was a volunteer at that point that said it was all down hill from that point.  I never felt a downhill, it was more like a head wind the next 12 miles.  This is when I really started to think about why I do this sport.  I do it because I can!  At one point in my life there is no way I could have done this.  I might not be the fastest, but I do it.  I realized that everyone else had the same wind I did, so why complain!

I was relieved to get off that bike!!!  My run has been pretty strong, but I knew today was just going to be one of those days you just keep going. I had given my all on the bike and I soon realized I had nothing left for the run.  I also did not drink enough electrolytes on the bike and I was feeling it.  I caught up with my dad at about mile 2 and stopped and talked with him for a min.  He was also struggling.  I really wanted to stay with him and walk, but I knew my mom was up ahead and I couldn't let her beat me that easily!  The frist 5 miles were tough!  At mile 5 I stopped at an aid station and just stood there and chatted with the volunteers (Volunteers are AMAZING!!!).  I also took a prescription pain pill, at the time it was a brilliant idea, but ended up being terrible.   After about 5 min just chatting I changed my attitude about the race.  Who cared if I didn't PR or beat my mom I was doing something that most people will never do!  Why not enjoy every min.  Who cares if I have stomach craps, or blisters, or sore legs there were people out there on the course dealing with much worse.  I was going to be happy to just be there.  That is about when my race started to get better.  I started talking with people and just being happy.  It is crazy how much more fun the race is when you have a good attitude!  At one point someone yelled out to me, "you are too happy to be at this point in the race."  I just laughed and kept on running! (more like shuffling, but you get the idea)

My race by no means was my best, it was probably one of my worst, but it is races like this when you realize why you do this.  It is when you realize why you put your body through hell just for a shirt and medal.  It is amazing to see what the human body is capable of doing.  Whether you cross the finish line first or last you didn't quit.   

Every time I cross a finish line whether it is an Ironman or a 5K I always feel a sense of pride.  I might not have beat my mom, She actually killed me by ten min, but I am a finisher and I didn't quit.  this is a race that I defiantly learned a couple things about myself. 

Normally I start thinking about what I am going to eat after the at about mile 5, but that didn't happen.  I love Boise because their main sponsor is a BEEF sponsor, so they have awesome post race food!  But that prescription pain pill I took did not sit right, so I didnt get to eat any of the food!  I wish I could have, next year I will be back and I will eat double to make up for it!



Me and my mom after the race.  Yes, I had to put up a number two!  She definitely earned that number one!  I will get her next time she better watch out!!!


My mom is pretty amazing, she got fourth in her age.  Yes, she is old, but she is faster then 90% of the people in my age!    

Now Thailand here we come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment