Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Echo Triathlon

I thought I hade published this, but I guess not.  Whoops!   It has been about two weeks now since this race, but better late then never.  I was able to go to race echo with my great teammates Amber, Laura, Cherry, and Brittany.  The night before the race Amber, Laura, Britt and I went up and spent the night. After checking in at the lake we headed back o the hotel to get all prepared.  

I didn't sleep well, ugh!  I was nervous about racing an Olympic distance race.  I know that seems silly because I usually do much longer races, but that was exactly why I was nervous.   I haven't done an Olympic for years!!!!   

We rode our bikes to the race start, our hotel was super close.  We got there plenty early.  Which I think made my nerves worse.  Plus I haven't raced a race without my mom for a very long time.  It felt so strange.  I was grateful for my teammates who were there to talk to.  


Here we are before the race start.  We all still look cute at this point! 


Here is all my stuff all ready to go.  
The race started with a great national anthem played by the local high school band.  Once the race started I knew it was going to be a terrible swim.  I couldn't get my heart rate down the entire time.   I was really struggling just trying to get to the first bouy.  I looked around at one point and saw people standing and walking.  Luckliy for me the water level was super low so I got up and started running!  Yep I ran almost the entire swim!!!  I was overjoyed to just get out of the dumb water.  

Then it was on to the bike.  It is a false flat all the way to the turn around, but I love the bike so much I didn't care.  I just kept thinking I had to make up time because of my scary swim.  My bike felt great!   The course was well marked and patrolled!  

The run lately has been my favorite because i have really improved.  I headed out with a smile!  I LOVE this run course, and the weather was amazing.   My overall run pace was 8:10.  Not my fastest time but I felt good the entire time.  The aid stations were great which is always nice!  It was so fun to see alll the girls on the out and back course.
Here we are after the race.  Amber got 2nd overall and Laura won her age. 


Brittany got second in her age too! 


Here is the whole group.  

This is still one of my favorite races.  I didn't place, but I learned that I should probably swim every once in a while and I could place!  I can't wait to do this race again next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment